In July 2014 WIN launched the Fair Digital Deals Declaration, a commitment made by independent record label signatories around the world to treat their artists fairly in agreements relating to digital exploitation of artists’ work in recorded music agreements with third parties.
As a voluntary initiative, it is up to individual member labels to sign the Fair Digital Deals Declaration in their territories.
Independent music trade associations around the world will continue to encourage new member label signatories and a re-commitment from current signatories to the Declaration.
You can view the Declaration below and download a digital version. To sign up please print, sign and send to email@example.com.
FAIR DIGITAL DEALS DECLARATION
“The big print giveth and the small print taketh away. ”
– Tom Waits
We make the following declaration in connection with the distribution of recordings in digital services.
- Ensure that artists’ share of download and streaming revenues is clearly explained in recording agreements and royalty statements in reasonable summary form.
- Account to artists a good-faith pro-rata share of any revenues and other compensation from digital services that stem from the monetization of recordings but are not attributed to specific recordings or performances.
- Encourage better standards of information from digital services on the usage and monetisation of music.
- Support artists who choose to oppose, including publicly, unauthorized uses of their music.
- Support the collective position of the global independent record company sector as outlined in the Global Independent Standard.
We wholly disapprove of certain practices, which leave artists under-recompensed and under-informed in the digital marketplace and will work together with the artist community to counter these practices.
Signed on behalf of [Label]